In MURPHY’S SECRET, Talley stress-baked brownies to soften a tough conversation with Whit. Although she used a boxed chocolate brownie mix, I’ve tested something much better. Hope you enjoy them. This recipe originated from Lauren’s Latest. You can check out her fabulous recipes at her site. www.laurenslatest.com. I decalorized and simplified her recipe by substituting brown sugar with Truvia Brown Sugar and the bag of caramels and cream with Smucker’s Sugar-free Caramel Syrup.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (I used ½ c Truvia Brown Sugar Blend per package directions)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (my family prefers dark chocolate)
- 11-ounce bag of caramels, unwrapped (substituted as indicated below)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (Substituted as indicated below)
Omit cream and caramels and substitute with Smucker’s Sugar-free Caramel Syrup. The syrup eliminates unwrapping a bag of caramels, doesn’t need a cream thinner, nor does it require melting. I simply squirted it on top to cover the brownie layer. Easy-peasy.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin until combined.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients, scraping sides to ensure smooth batter.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Squirt a thin layer of caramel sauce over chips and spread evenly with a spatula or butter knife.
- ** If using caramel candies, Place caramels and cream into a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted, stopping every 20 seconds to stir.
- Pour melted caramels and cream mixture over chocolate chips and spread evenly.
- Place dollops of remaining batter over top of caramel. Smooth dolloped batter over top to cover.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool completely before serving with a dollop of whipped topping.